All of your daily beauty routine products penetrate through your skin and if you are conscious about your health and well-being and care about what you eat, you should also worry about what you use on your body. So let’s have a closer look at what vegan cosmetics mean and why to choose them.

It is important to know the differences between natural, vegan, cruelty-free and biodegradable products, as not all of them imply the same thing.

Veganism excludes all consumption of animal products in food, clothing, cosmetics and cleaning products. Vegan cosmetics guarantees that they do not contain any raw materials of animal origin. That includes makeup, shampoos, perfumes, and soaps that do not contain any animal-derived ingredients.

The so-called natural cosmetics, on the other hand, are made out of a composition that contains at least 95% of ingredients that are of natural origin. However, the remaining 5% may contain ingredients of animal origin such as beeswax, propolis, lanolin, elastin or hyaluronic acid. And even some substances of synthetic origin such as preservatives called “natural identical”. These are salts or acids that can be found in nature but are also accepted in their synthetic forms.

 Most vegan and natural cosmetics often carry the cruelty-free seal, which means that they have not been tested on animals to see their possible effects. Though experimenting with cosmetic products on animals has been banned in the European Union since 2013, products that were tested before that date are still being sold. Tests are also being carried out on animals with other products that we consume, such as medication, food, detergents… It should also be noted that in order to sell cosmetics in China, testing on animals is still mandatory.

Finally, biodegradable cosmetics are those made with products that do not pollute the environment.

If you are looking for a kind and respectful product, in addition to being vegan during their production, use or disposal. They include at least 65% of natural ingredients from an ecological origin (but can also include a portion that comes from animal origin) and not having been tested on animals, it is important to also take into consideration that animals can be harmed if their environment is being destroyed by the production of the products, or if it product contains an excess of unnecessary wrappers.

Now that you are aware of what the differences are, you may wonder why you should choose to use vegan products. Here are some reasons…

What are the benefits of using vegan cosmetics?

•You will be choosing products that help avoid animal cruelty. Whether you follow a vegan diet, or not, being aware that killing animals just for the consumption of skin products is not the right thing to do, is being in sync with the respect for all lives and living beings on this planet. If you love your pets and take care of them, why would you want to consume products that harm other animals?

• Many vegan cosmetics contain a higher percentage of vitamins and antioxidants that you will also benefit from. Adding that to keeping well hydrated, it will help prevent the signs of aging skin.

• You will use products that are soft and that respect your skin, helping you stay healthy inside and out, as your body won’t have to deal with all the harmful chemicals that are used in conventional cosmetics.

• If you want to use safe cosmetics, but you are not an expert on raw materials and you’re not sure of what ingredients in “conventional” cosmetics can be harmful, the safest option is to choose natural cosmetics, which discards all the less reliable substances, and will ensure you and your family more security.

Some people think that vegan cosmetic brands are more expensive than conventional brands. But that’s not true. You can get very affordable products which will take care of you and your environment. Still not convinced? Have a look at the ones we offer in APoEM!